73 years ago, on 10th December, the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The UDHR is a significant document, which proclaims the inalienable rights that everyone is entitled to as a human being - regardless of race, color, religion, sex, language, political or another opinion, national or social origin, property, birth, or another status. Available in more than 500 languages, it is the most translated document in the world.
The theme of 2021 is EQUALITY! – it is from Article 1 of the UDHR – “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.”
“All Human, All Equal" is this year's slogan for Human Rights Day.
What Equality and building better, fairer, and greener societies mean to us:
- Equality is sharing power, wealth, and opportunities.
- Equality is a life of dignity for everyone.
- Equality is leaving no one behind.
- Equality is participation in decision-making.
- Equality is ending digital exclusion.
- Equality is everyone benefiting from science.
- Equality is protecting everyone from violence.
- Equality is building national resilience to crises.
By committing to reducing inequality by advancing human rights for everyone, we can overcome global economic, social, health, and environmental crises and conflicts, and build societies where all people rise together by sharing power, resources, and opportunities equally.